By Lai Kok Fung, BuzzCity CEO
As we turn the page on 2014, it's that time of year again when we pull out the BuzzCity Crystal Ball to take a look at what the new year has in store for mobile users and the mobile industry.
The past twelve months have been a period of steady growth for the mobile industry. Here are just a few indicators:
- Since the start of the year, The BuzzCity Ad Network has delivered over 320 billion ads, up 19% from 2013.
- The global market for mobile ads is expected to top US$31 billion in 2014. Digital advertising is on the rise at a time when TV and print ads are stagnant or declining.
- More than 1 billion smartphones will be sold this year and smartphone penetration is as high as 85% in Singapore, where mobile devices are far more popular than PCs. More than three-quarters of mobile surfers use smartphones in 75 markets.
Based on what we see from BuzzCity's research and our survey of the overall industry, it's easy to be bullish on the year ahead as well, particularly when it comes to mobile video and m-commerce . . . which leads me to our two predictions for 2015:
1. Mobile 'TV' Ads Go Mainstream
2. Online Shopping Drives Retail Sales for Vendors Big and Small